A source for information about community services, referrals to human services, and crisis intervention.
50 Glenville Street, Greenwich
Provides people with developmental disabilities and their families in lower Fairfield County with support and advocacy for building able lives and strong communities. Abilis believes that all people deserve to live, work and enjoy life based upon their personal preferences, and supports individuals from birth through adulthood in their communities. We provide direct early intervention services for babies and toddlers with developmental disabilities, direct support services for individuals with autism, and vocational and employment training for adults with intellectual disabilities.
ARTS FOR HEALING
24 Grove Street, New Canaan
Offers music and art therapy for children and teens with disabilities.
CONNECTICUT ASSOCIATION FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES (CACLD)
25 Van Zant Street, East Norwalk
Supports individuals, families, and professionals by providing information, education, and consultation while promoting public awareness and understanding. CACLD’s goal is to ensure access to the resources needed to help children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders achieve their full potential.
CONNECTICUT OFFICE OF PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
Seeks to advance equal rights for persons with disabilities (and their families) by increasing the ability of individuals, groups and systems to safeguard rights; expose instances and patterns of discrimination and abuse; promote individual and systemic remediation when rights are violated; increase public awareness of unjust situations and of means to address them; and empower people with disabilities and their families to advocate for themselves.
DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY, INC.
80 Ferry Boulevard, Suite 210, Stratford
Provides individuals with empowerment, and works for change in the emotional barriers that face people with disabilities in the community. Individual services consist of:
• Information and Referral; identifying and accessing services and supports, benefits, assistive technology, housing, personal assistance services, and other resources.
• Independent Living Skills Training; training in activities of daily living, and skills necessary for integration and full participation in the community for people with disabilities.
• Peer Support; peer counselors provide support to people with disabilities by drawing on their own life experience with disability.
• Advocacy; assistance in making your voice heard, advocating for the supports and services you need to maximize your own independence.
THE KENNEDY CENTER, INC.
2440 Reservoir Avenue, Trumbull
Private, community-based rehabilitation organization that actively responds to the needs of persons with disabilities by offering innovative, community services. Values that we instill:
• Treating all people with respect and dignity.
• Empowerment of persons with disabilities and their families through joint efforts.
• Assisting persons with disabilities toward optimal inclusion within the community.
• Diversity, support the elimination of discrimination, advocate for social equality
NEW CANAAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: DEPARTMENT OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
Coordinates special education services from preschool students through age 21. All New Canaan Public Schools have special education programs.
PEGASUS THERAPEUTIC RIDING
310 Peach Lake Road, Brewster, NY
845-669-8235, ext. 105
Riding therapy programs for students with physical and mental disabilities.
SPED*NET (THE SPECIAL EDUCATION NETWORK) OF NEW CANAAN
P.O. Box 1612, New Canaan
A parent and professional network interested in special education issues. Offers seminars during the school year, maintains a "listserv," provides handouts and information, and has a variety of videos and books to loan members.
182 Wolfpit Avenue, Norwalk
Non-profit membership organization serving infants, children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families. It provides personalized support and advocates for people to live full lives with independence, freedom of choice and personal growth. STAR's informative Website showcases a comprehensive set of links to sites for local, state and national organizations that serve people with disabilities.