CENTER FOR HOPE
590 Post Road, Darien
Individual, group and family counseling for persons of all ages facing the loss of a loved one, or a life-threatening illness to themselves or a family member.
CHILDREN’S CONNECTION OF THE HUMAN SERVICES COUNCIL
One Park Street, Norwalk
• Child Abuse Identification and Reporting Training (SCAN-Stop Child Abuse Now).
• Child abuse, neglect prevention and intervention services.
• Children’s Bank (volunteer gift program that donates clothing, funding and gifts to abused and neglected children).
• Foster care support.
• Multidisciplinary Investigative Team of Greater Norwalk.
FAMILY AND CHILDREN’S AGENCY
9 Mott Avenue, 4th Floor, Norwalk
Connects individuals and families in crisis, or at transitional moments of their lives, with skilled professionals in counseling, mental health and substance abuse services, senior services, family support, youth development, homeless services, mentoring and adoption programs.
FAMILY CENTERS Darien/New Canaan
590 Boston Post Road, Darien
203-655-0547 Phone (call or see Web site for other locations)
Offers counseling, education and human services to children, adults and families in Fairfield County. Programs include:
• Bright Beginnings; Preschool and Early Childhood Education.
• Families in Crisis; Family Centers’ comprehensive network of counseling, support and referral services.
• Fostering Independence; through vocational and career training, housing resources, counseling and self-sufficiency programs.
• Workplace Resources; WorkLife Solutions provides comprehensive employee assistance programs, work-life services.
NEW CANAAN CARES
112 Main Street, 2nd Floor, New Canaan P.O. Box 178, New Canaan
Offers a multitude of health-promoting programs directed at youth, parents and the community. Programs are provided to each public and private school in New Canaan on an ongoing basis. Offers parent, youth and community programs aimed at raising community health awareness while providing tools to promote healthy lifestyles, strengthen family systems, boost children’s resilience, build self-esteem and leadership skills, advance effective parenting skills, and reduce stress. The organization also has a wellness library, which lends out both books and videos. (A calendar of events is available on the Web site.)
NEW CANAAN COALITION
77 Main Street, New Canaan
This community group consists of youth from 8th–12th grades, parents, town officials, human and youth service workers, police, school personnel, local therapists, attorneys, representatives from faith communities, and others. They come together to brainstorm issues regarding youth and high-risk behavior, namely substance abuse. This group also provides educational forums for youth and parents with current research and strategies for prevention in the home.
NORWALK ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY NOW, INC. (NEON)
Main Office: 98 South Main Street, Norwalk
Aims to improve the conditions of poverty and to help low-income families and residents become self-sufficient through the delivery of direct program services and advocacy at the state, federal and community level.Our services and programs consist of the following:
• Head Start
• Early Child Education
• Employment and Training
• Eviction Prevention Services
• A 24-bed single room occupancy facility
• Partnerships for Community Distribution and Coordination of Emergency Services (including food, clothing and shelter)
• Retired Volunteer Services
• Youth Programs
• Senior Employment and Volunteer Programs
• Energy Assistance
• Case Management
• Information and Referral Services
• Advocacy Services
1864 Post Road, Darien
Community-based agency that, through a sharing of goods and talents, responds to people who lack basic human necessities and resources to improve their lives.